Sunday, October 12, 2008

Apartment Therapy's Fall 2008 Cure!

So in an effort to finish decorating my apartment and finally make it a comfortable, happy place I'm not ashamed to invite people over to see, I've signed up for Apartment Therapy's 2008 Fall Home Cure.

Basically, The Cure lasts 8 weeks and is designed for sloths like me who can't seem to get their acts together and finish decluttering/decorating/arranging/cleaning their apartments. The process follows AT founder Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan's book, "Apartment Therapy: The Eight-Step Home Cure," which I had just finished reading a few weeks before the cure began.

I have to say, I wasn't overly thrilled with the book. I felt it often veered away from being preachy about home design and into being preachy about how one particular lifestyle (the author's urban, upper middle class, pseudo-green yuppie lifestyle) is better than any other. However, it did have a great, detailed plan for pulling a space together and, let's face it, I've lived at the current place for long enough that, if I were going to get it done without any sort of help or push, I'd have done it already. Plus, by following the Cure on the AT website, I'll be able to get great feedback and ideas from other folks doing the cure and I've been dying to have someone to talk to about decorating. My mother gets bored of me talking about it. :\

So, I've gone ahead and signed up. This past week was Week 0, which basically meant I took some 'before' pictures and made a list of all the things I have to accomplish in the next 2 months. My target is to get everything completely done before my dad comes to visit me in December.

Below are the before shots I took. It occurred to me after I posted them that they don't show off all the stuff I like about the space, but oh well. The worse they look at the beginning, the better the after shots will look later. Soon (i.e., whenever I get around to typing it up) I'll post my list of things to do as well as pics from around the web that inspire me.










Oi. Looking at these pics again remind me of how much work there is to be done. Wish me luck!

No comments: